Friday, February 15, 2008

The Effects of a Funeral

Today, some friends and I went to a funeral to support a friend who was mourning the death of a loved one. Funerals have a strange effect on me. They remind me that life on Earth is temporary and very short. The minister and family members did a good job reminding the family and friends gathered that life is extremely short and that for the Christian death is not the end, but simply the beginning of spending an eternity with God in heaven.

In an amazing timing, I read this morning the following quote from C.S. Lewis recorded in The Purpose Driven Life: “All that is not eternal is eternally useless.” Also, in my Bible reading this morning I read the following words from Jesus Christ. He said, “I am the bread that came down from heaven.” (John 6:41).

These words and the experience of attending a funeral reminded me to keep my focus on Jesus the real sustenance of life and on the eternal things of God!

No comments: