Sunday, March 2, 2008

"Abba, Father"

Jesus faced troubles on the time he spent on this Earth. Now we don’t become more like Christ by simply going through troubles, but if we learn to react to those troubles as Jesus did, then God will use those troubles to transform us. Let’s see how Jesus responded to trouble …

Toward the end of his life after he had been falsely accused, rejected, and mistreated, he was preparing for his biggest challenge and that is going to the Cross … Prior to facing that ultimate challenge, he prayed the following …
36 “Abba, Father,” he cried out, “everything is possible for you. Please take this cup of suffering away from me. Yet I want your will to be done, not mine.” Mark 14:36 NLT

Do you know what the phrase … “Abba Father” means? The word Abba can be translated … Daddy … Jesus in the midst of trouble and hardship turned to His Father putting his trust in the Father, the way that a small child puts their trust in their Daddy!

You know I love being a Daddy, but it has been along time since one of my kids called me Daddy. I kind of liked being Daddy that was a great time in life … when my kids were younger, because they laughed at my jokes, they thought I knew everything, and they trusted me completely. At that age, they would jump off the side of the pool into my arms, or off the side of a porch, because they trusted Daddy.

So the next time life is real tough (trouble, hardship, or suffering) … instead of asking: Why Me? And falling into a Pity Party … Remember you have Father in Heaven whom Jesus taught us by example to say … Daddy … Instead of asking “Why Me,” ask, “How can I more completely surrender my life to God, My Father … My Daddy in Heaven” – so He can use this trouble (work it toward good) to make me more like Christ!!” Do you trust your Heavenly Daddy? Do you trust that even the troubles of this life can be used by God to develop our character to become more like Christ?

Remember: “God’s ultimate goal for your life on earth is not comfort, but character development.” (Rick Warren; page 173; PDL)

No comments: