Saturday, January 19, 2008

Conditional Tithing or Unconditional Tithing

To tithe is to give ten percent of your income in financial giving to God. Abraham is the first individual in the Bible to tithe. He tithed the spoils of victory over the Kings of Elam, Goiim, Babylonia, and Ellasar (Genesis 14:20). Abraham’s grandson Jacob commits to a conditional tithe. Jacob made the following vow to God, “If God will indeed be with me and protect me on this journey, and if he will provide me with food and clothing, and if I return safely to my father’s home, then the Lord will certainly be my God. And this memorial pillar I have set up will become a place for worshiping God, and I will present to God a tenth of everything he gives me” (Genesis 28:20-22).

It appears that Jacob has enough faith to say to the LORD, “I will give if you bless me in the future.” It is another step of faith to say, “I will give because God has blessed me in the past, and I am confident that He will continue to bless me.” The first approach is conditional tithing (a first step), and the second approach (a more mature step) is unconditional tithing.

A step of faith in 2008 is to tithe unconditionally, trusting God all the way!

No comments: