Tuesday, January 1, 2008

Happy New Year!

2008 … A Year of New Beginnings!

2008 began with an exhilarating rush. A number of us from Southwest Church jumped into the New Year participating in the Polar Bear Dip at Ceasar’s Creek. The temperature outside was a balmy 28 degrees and the water was oh … so cold!

But the courageous and yet crazy bunch of friends from our church plunged into the New Year together. It was an exciting way to start the New Year.

On a personal note, I began the New Year reading from the first chapter of Genesis (the first book of the Bible). This morning, as I read Genesis 1, two observations struck me. The first was that God Almighty is so powerful that God simply spoke the universe into being. Repeatedly, in the first chapter (verses 3, 6, 9, 14, 20, 24, 26) it is recorded … “Then God said …” I am at awe with a God that can simply speak creation into being!

The second observation that I had this morning was that at the end of his first week of creation (by the way, I believe that God continues to create and recreate … Praise God!). That he celebrated and the Bible records … “Then God looked over all he had made, and he saw that it was very good!” (Genesis 1:31) Although I believe that we live in a fallen world (that comes later in chapter 3), this morning as I begin a New Year, I am going to focus on the many good things that God has created and I too will celebrate!

No comments: