Tuesday, January 15, 2008

A Simple Prayer

When Abraham sent his servant to a foreign country to find a wife for his son, Isaac, he faced a huge challenge. His challenge was to find a young woman who was from Abraham’s homeland, who would be willing (or more likely allowed) to leave her family, her home, and her culture and move to a foreign country and marry a man that she had never met. (By the way, this was long before internet dating and probably dating of any kind.)

Abraham’s servant was recruited for this tough mission. I love the simple prayer that he offers up to God. The servant prayed, “O Lord, God of my master, Abraham, please give me success on this mission” (Genesis 24:42). As we begin a New Year, I want to imitate this humble servant’s prayer and ask the LORD to give me success (as He defines it) to fulfill His mission for my life!

No comments: