Tuesday, January 8, 2008

Now that is a "Calling!"

Sometimes you hear people talking about a “calling” that they have received from God. As a kid growing up, I was pretty suspect of such talk. I wasn’t sure if there was such a thing, or was that simply “religious talk.”

Later in my life I have personally sensed that God was calling me to full time ministry. Now personally, I have never “heard a voice” or seen “writing in the sky,” but I am convinced that the LORD has called me by "writing on my heart" a desire to serve him full time and spend my life teaching the Bible to others.

One of the first main characters to “pop up” in the Bible was an individual named Abram (later changed to Abraham). The Bible describes the “special calling” that the LORD gave to Abram. Here is the Biblical description of Abram’s calling:

“The LORD had said to Abram, “Leave your native country, your relatives, and your father’s family, and go to the land that I will show you. I will make you into a great nation. I will bless you and make you famous, and you will be a blessing to others. I will bless those who bless you and curse those who treat you with contempt. All the families on earth will be blessed through you.” (Genesis 12:1-3; NLT)

The amazing thing about Abraham’s faith is that he immediately answered this call in his life from God. The Bible records the following: “So Abram departed as the LORD had instructed, and Lot went with him. Abram was seventy-five years old when he left Haran.” (Genesis 12:4; NLT)

Is God calling you to any special service, ministry, or action?

No comments: