Monday, January 7, 2008

The Mystery of the Tower of Babel

The Tower of Babel is one of the most fascinating stories in the Bible. It shows the arrogance of human beings … “let’s build a great city for ourselves” (Genesis 11:4 NLT). It shows the power of unity … “the people are united, and they all speak the same language. After this, nothing they set out to do will be impossible for them!” (Genesis 11:6 NLT) And finally it shows why from one family (Noah’s) we have countless languages being spoken on earth … “the LORD confused the people with different languages” (Genesis 11:9 NLT).

From my limited human perspective, it is hard for me to understand why God chose to confuse the languages and create distance between groups of people. And yet it is at times like these that I am reminded of a good definition of theology, which is “faith seeking understanding.” It is also a time that I am reminded of the words of Job, when he said, “So who am I, that I should try to answer God or even reason with him?” (Job 9:14 NLT)

No comments: